Sunday, October 31, 2010

Herb Society

So many new friends!  The Herb Society came to visit and I think I learned more from them than they did from me - what a friendly, happy bunch of people, so eager to share little anecdotes and tidbits of knowledge.  The weather was perfect, and we were blessed by the shade of one of our huge gumtrees.  These trees are considered aliens in our country, but they do help our bees produce the most magnificent honey! 

After some refreshment of home-baked apple crumble and cream and lavender biscuits, washed down by some homemade ginger beer and tea and coffee, they listened attentively to my informal talk on using lavender in wedding favours and gifts.  They asked many questions, some of which I could not answer, but other members of the group were able to fill in the gaps, and so it was a learning experience for me too!  We then had a tour of my modest little nursery, before going down to visit the lavender fields.

My photographer son had also exhibited his photographs in Gumtree Cottage, where the tea was laid out.  He had some very favourable comments!

Our guests were able to browse the farm stall, pick their own lavender or just enjoy the sunshine and take a squizz at my very informal, cottage herb patch (I can't really call it a garden - it is a very simple arrangement!) and then some members stayed behind to do a soapcrafting workshop - we made little fragranced gift soaps and then boxed them with an origami box.  Everyone had such lovely original ideas for decorating and were very proud of their creations.

Every time I get together with people who have a love for all things growing, I am amazed at their passion and knowledge, and, dare I say, faith?  For who cannot have a little faith to plant a seed, or take a cutting, that is expected to grow roots and leaves and become another plant - these are daily, sacred, and, for the most part, unnoticed, little miracles... 

3 comments:

  1. It was a great day. Well done Charmaine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charmaine,

    Can you share your recipe for lavender biscuits? Our herb group is always ready to try a new recipe.

    Thanks,
    Deb Doubek
    Peterman Brook Herb Farm (Wisconsin)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Deb! I will post the recipe on my lavender recipes page - Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete