Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Strawberries, spinach and cow...

After spending days and days in getting my veggie garden ready for spring planting, then planting, and finally delighting in watching the shoots appear, the young spinach doing well and the strawberries forming on the little plants, I took the morning off and went to the shops to find some fabric for a dress that I had been intending to sew and some more vegetable seeds.  Imagine my horror at getting a frantic phone call from my son - "Mom, how do you get Daisy to follow you?  She's running around in the vegetable garden..."  Of course I hotfooted it out of the fabric shop and charged home.  Ernest, after being alerted by Chris, had managed to shoo her out of the garden, and the evidence of her around 150kg frame was all around.  She had particularly enjoyed the spinach and strawberries, she told me, and was most put out by being 'shoved around'.  I mean, what's a girl to do? Hadn't seen a green vegetable all through winter, just dry grass, she complained...
  My veggie patch will survive, but the neat little rows will be interspersed with bare patches as the plants grow, methinks...!
Good news, though, as Goose has laid another egg.  She now has three.  Let's hope that nothing steals them - the wild vervet monkeys love eggs and will steal at any opportunity. The bad news is that we lost our male duck, Donald, two nights ago.  We don't know how, but there is a suspicious pile of feathers and then a scattered path to the fence.  We still have Jemima and Dorothy though, but no hope of little ones with daddy out of the way...

No comments:

Post a Comment