Sunday, September 19, 2010

Speckles sits!

Spring is certainly in the air!  This morning I went down to the Chicken Coop and found Speckles sitting rather flatly in the one nesting box.  This took me quite by surprise as I had collected all the eggs yesterday.  I had noticed, however, that there were quite a few tiny black feathers in the nesting box when I last checked for eggs yesterday.  This morning she was well and truly ensconced in the box, and bristled and threatened me as I tried to catch a glimpse of what she was sitting on.  I suspect it may only be one egg!  I will try to slide some more eggs under her tomorrow.

Unfortunately, only two of the three young 'teenage girls' have survived after I released them from captivity.  I was hoping that they were big enough not to be in danger, having kept them enclosed while they were still small, but it was not to be...One has a curly head and the other has a tufty head.  Will have to name them quick - I think curly head will probably be called Beep-beep! because she looks just like the Road Runner cartoon character!

A very flat, broody Speckles!
Goose is extremely protective over her nest and I have not been able to get near her - Gershwin is a constant nuisance, attacking me at every opportunity.  The only way that I can get on with my chores is to pick him up, restrain his neck and tuck him firmly under my arm.  When I release him, he indignantly splutters his woes to Godzilla and Gilbert, all the while flapping his wings.  Godzilla and Gilbert nod in affirmation at 'that silly lady in wellies...'

No comments:

Post a Comment